Europe’s Essential Data Network
The award-winning GÉANT network is considered the most advanced and well-connected research and education network in the world, offering capacity of up to 2Tbps and reaching half of all the countries in the world.
By interconnecting Europe’s National Research and Education Networks (NRENs), GÉANT brings Europe’s brightest minds together to collaborate virtually on ground-breaking research and initiatives, boosting innovation and prosperity for all of Europe.
What sets GÉANT apart from other networks?
- Robustness: large research projects rely on GÉANT for outstanding service availability and service quality. Over 1,000 Terabytes of data are transferred every day via the GÉANT IP backbone.
- Flexibility: services and infrastructure can be tailored to individual user requirements.
- Capacity: 100Gbps (gigabits per second) service are now available across the core network, with a network design that will support up to 8Tbps (terabits per second), ensuring the network remains ahead of user demand and the data deluge. (Read more about GÉANT's next generation terabit network).
- Effective and efficient operations: the dedicated GÉANT Operations Centre ensures 99% of cases are reported within 15 minutes of any outage being detected.
- Services: a wide range of services including; IP and dedicated circuits, testbeds and virtualised resources, authentication and roaming, monitoring and troubleshooting, advisory and support services.
GÉANT continues to innovate and evolve to define the state-of-the-art and stay ahead of exponentially growing data needs for the benefit of research and education worldwide.